Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Challenge #11: Photoshop Skills

Hmmm.... This week's challenge isn't really a challenge.  Most photos I've used have some post production work done in Photoshop. 

For some reason, I have a picture of Superman laying on the floor in our bedroom.  I don't know why it's there - it used to be in our son's room, but it is.  And every morning since this challenge was issued I look at this picture and think that I should do one of those lame superimpose-your-face shots and replace Superman's face with my mug.  Well... tonight's the night.  I present to you 'Superken'.

I'm probably going to get some letter from DC Comics legal team telling me I can't do this and have to take down the picture (which would be *really* odd since no one ever reads this blog).  But if that's the case I'll take down the picture and replace it with a copy of the letter!


I couldn't quite get the skin tone to the point that I wanted, but I ended up with a reasonable compromise, I think.  Several things are happening in this image, including surface blur, colorization, cutout, posterize, injection of some noise, and a whack of dodging and burning.

I'm beginning to hate printing, which is why I'm looking forward to the Digital Darkroom course I'm registered in at SAIT this fall.  I'm hoping that this class will help remove some of the mystery of printing (mostly from the Mac).  Incidentally, I came across a link that may help get my communication errors resolved on my Mac.  This guy seems to have done a fair bit of research and come up with a procedure that's suppose to correct a bunch of printing issues using the Epson 3800 printer with a Mac.  I'll have to try it on the next rainy day (after I replace the kitchen tap, caulk the new tiles in the bathroom, install the missing baseboard...).

No comments:

Post a Comment